The park, a social housing project funded by the Snouck van Loosen family legacy, dates from 1897 and is located on land that used to be a harbour. A condition for the construction of the park was that the project was to be realised by residents of the town of Enkhuizen only. The project gardens were constructed in two styles. The gardens to the west are in the English landscape style – lovely, watery and playful. The eastern gardens are typically French – neat, symmetrical and ordered.